7 signs you’re even more unfit than you thought you were
By Liz Connor. Published 2021-02-02BOLD-Fitness
1. Simply walking up the stairs leaves you gasping for breathYou don’t want to rude about yourself, but seriously… what chance do you have of surviving a Zumba class when taking the stairs instead of the lift leaves you doubled over in pain and gasping for breath? Somebody bring water, fast.
2. Your runs are more like fast-paced walksIt always starts off so well. You pound the driveway of your house feeling like Usain Bolt, but by the time you get to the end of the street, it’s more like the tortoise and the hare (and I’ll give you one guess which character you are).
3. Even light exercise leaves you sweaty and red-facedThe instructor at your gym (aka your sworn enemy) said the class would start with a light warm-up. While everyone else is still cool and composed, you’ve broken into a pink-faced sweat and are thinking about making a run for it before the real hard work begins.
4. Everything hurts the next dayEven worse than the actual doing of the exercise itself is the unbearable aches you have to endure for days afterwards.Sneezing, coughing, walking, smiling… is there any task that isn’t torture?
5. You have a lot more respect for athletes and fitness influencersIt’s easy to think ‘I could do that’ when you’re watching someone else exercise on YouTube or Instagram.After a couple of exercise classes though, you have to admit, doing a bunch of burpees and mountain climbers in a row is a lot harder than it looks.
6. You spend most of the yoga class in child’s poseAfter a couple of downward dogs, you’re ready for the teacher to hand out the blankets and for everyone to get into an early shavasana.
7. You struggle to lift even the smallest weightsNote to self: work on your upper-body strength.Lifting a pair of 2kg dumbbells usually elicits grunts, groans and facial expressions from you, that wouldn’t look out of place in a World’s Strongest Man competition.Don’t worry, though, everyone has to start somewhere. While the initial stage of feeling unfit can make you want to give up, it’s good to remember that results don’t happen overnight.And until then? There’s always child’s pose.
We think you'll also enjoy
Too Old For Exercise? Think again
TheBoldAge debunks any notion of taking it easy in this and related articlesBy Steve Foreman, 2020-08-30
Age is just a number!
Following the popularity our ‘Age is no barrier article’, here are more instances of people performing amazing feats in later life.By Steve Foreman, 2020-08-03
Diana Moran: ‘That rocking chair and slippers image is so out of date’
As an iconic Boldie, the Green Goddess talks to TheBoldAge about feeling fit and youthful, and why keeping joyful and inquisitive are key.By Gabrielle Fagan, 2020-04-15