How to make Dishoom’s kejriwal – fried eggs on chilli cheese toast
By Ella Walker . Published 2020-09-04BOLD-Food
Be Bold Boldies: This toastie is perfect for a fiery weekend brunch.
Ingredients:(Serves 1)80g mature Cheddar, grated1 or 2 thick slices of white bloomer, sourdough or brioche (depending on size and level of hunger)2 spring onions, chopped1 green chilli, very finely chopped1tsp vegetable oil (optional)1 or 2 large eggs (one per slice of toast)Coarsely ground black pepperTo serve:Tomato ketchup
- Let the grated cheese come up to room temperature; it needs to be quite soft and workable.
- Heat the oven to 240°C/Fan 220°C/Gas 9. Place a baking tray inside to warm up.
- Toast the bread until very lightly browned on both sides. Set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the topping.
- Put a small handful of the grated cheese (roughly 10g), one teaspoon chopped spring onion and a pinch of green chilli to one side, to be used when you fry the egg(s).
- Crack the egg(s) into a cup or small bowl, being careful to keep the yolk(s) intact.
- Put the remaining cheese, spring onions and green chilli into a bowl, add plenty of black pepper and mix well. Using the back of a spoon (or your fingers), work the cheese mixture into a paste by pressing it firmly into the side of the bowl.