How to make John Torode’s chopped salmon and kimchi tacos
By Lauren Taylor. Published 2020-06-26BOLD-Food
Healthy, simple and inspired by Korean street food.
Ingredients:(serves 4-6)For the pickled red onions:100ml rice, coconut or apple vinegar100g caster sugar1 red onion, finely slicedFor the salmon:4tsp vegetable oil100ml lime juice3 drops of good-quality sesame oil25ml olive oil100ml coconut vinegar4tsp fish sauce4tsp sugar syrup200g skinless salmon fillet, very finely diced
To serve:1/2 cucumber, half peeled, deseeded and diced2 spring onions, very finely slicedA handful of fresh coriander, roughly choppedKimchi (shop bought or make your own)Stack of small soft white corn taco shells100g Japanese mayonnaise
- For the pickled red onions, put the vinegar and sugar into a pot and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat as soon as it comes to the boil, leave to cool for two minutes, then drop in the onion and stir. Set to one side until cold.
- For the salmon, mix all the liquids together in a bowl, then add the salmon, stir, and leave for 10 minutes.
- To assemble and serve, mix together the cucumber, spring onions, coriander and pickled red onion slices and add to the salmon mixture. Stir well.
- Warm the taco shells according to the packet instructions. Spoon the salmon mixture and kimchi into the tacos, then squidge some Japanese mayo over each one. Serve immediately.