How to make Marcus Wareing’s panzanella and a great way to use your surplus sourdough bread
By Lauren Taylor. Published 2020-09-05BOLD-Food
Waste not, want not – this one’s all about using things up.
- If you’re using fresh bread, preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 4, line a baking tray with baking parchment and lay out the bread slices in one layer. Bake for 10 minutes then
- While the bread is baking, cut the tomatoes into small wedges. Toss them in salt then place them in a colander set over a bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes, reserving the juice.
- Place the tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the tomato juice, the garlic, two tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar and 50ml of the olive oil to the fresh tomato juice in the bowl. Mix together and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cut the bread into 2cm dice and place in a shallow dish large enough to fit the bread in a single layer. Pour the tomato juice mix over the top and leave to sit for 20 minutes.
- Mix the remaining balsamic vinegar and olive oil together. Add the mustard and caper brine and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the soaked bread, red onion, capers, olives and herbs to the tomatoes and gently mix together with the dressing. Serve immediately.