How to make New York-style parsnips with browned butter, hazelnuts and thyme
By Ella Walker . Published 2020-12-11BOLD-Food
These’ll beat your average roasties.
Ingredients:(Serves 4–6)8 parsnips4tbsp olive oil2tbsp honeySalt and pepper3 garlic cloves6 sprigs thyme70g hazelnuts50g butter
- Preheat the oven to 210°C (Gas mark 6-7).
- Trim and peel the parsnips and quarter lengthwise. Spread them in a single layer on a tray lined with baking paper. Combine olive oil and honey in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle over the parsnips. Lightly crush the garlic cloves and add them to the tray together with the sprigs of thyme. Roast the parsnips in the preheated oven for 35–45 minutes (depending on size), turning a few times.
- Meanwhile, dry-roast the hazelnuts in a small frying pan. Leave to cool and chop coarsely.
- Wipe the pan with kitchen roll, then heat the butter over a medium heat. Cook for about five minutes to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Pick off the leaves of the remaining sprigs of thyme and add to the browned butter together with the hazelnuts.
- Transfer the roasted parsnips to a serving platter. Remove the garlic and thyme sprigs. Toss with the browned butter, nuts and herbs and season with salt and pepper.
We think you'll also enjoy
It's Christmas time: How to make Lucia buns – the Scandi Advent treat
Start a new tradition by scoffing these buns every Sunday in December.By Claire Spreadbury, 2020-12-07
TheBoldAge takes a look at 5 Christmas foods that go back further than you think – and 1 that doesn’t
We don’t choose our festive feast – tradition chooses for us.By Luke Rix-Standing, 2020-12-09