How to make Tom Kerridge’s Malaysian-style beef curry
By Ella Walker . Published 2020-11-17BOLD-Food
Ideal for a cold winter night.
Ingredients:(Serves 4)650g lean stewing beef1 tbsp vegetable oil1 litre fresh beef stock1 cinnamon stick2 star anise2 kafﬁr lime leaves150ml tinned coconut milk1tbsp tamarind pasteSea salt and freshly ground black pepperFor the spice paste:8 shallots, quartered4 garlic cloves, peeled2 dried chillies, stalks removed2 long red chillies, deseeded2.5cm piece fresh ginger, diced2.5cm piece fresh galangal, diced2 lemongrass stems, coarse layers removed, chopped1tsp ground turmericTo ﬁnish and serve:500g cooked brown rice (freshly cooked and drained or 2 pouches)A handful of coriander leaves1 long red chilli, ﬁnely sliced
- First, prepare the spice paste: put all the ingredients into a food processor along with 1 tsp salt and blend until smooth, adding a splash of water if needed.
- Cut the beef into 2.5cm cubes. Place a large non-stick saucepan over a high heat and add the oil. When hot, add the spice paste and cook, stirring, for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add the beef and cook, stirring regularly, for five minutes until starting to brown. Add the stock, cinnamon, star anise and lime leaves. Bring to a low simmer, cover and cook gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and the beef is tender.
- Increase the heat, stir in the coconut milk and tamarind paste and cook for a further five minutes. Meanwhile, if using pouches of rice, heat up according to the packet instructions. Season the curry with salt and pepper to taste and discard the cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Divide the rice and curry between warmed bowls and top with coriander leaves and chilli slices to serve.
We think you'll also enjoy
How to make MiMi Aye’s fried fish curry
Fragrant, warming and very fresh.By Ella Walker, 2020-05-19
How to make Ian Haste’s Thai fragrant coconut king prawn curry
A quick mid-week supper.By Ella Walker , 2020-07-09
How to make MiMi Aye’s golden pumpkin curry
Be Bold with this wonderfully delicious and quick veggie supper.By Ella Walker, 2020-05-12