On This Day 1 October
By TheBoldAge. Published 2020-10-01
In 331BCE Alexander the Great defeated the Persian Empire; in 1867 Das Kapital was published; in 1949 the PRC was established and in 1989 Denmark was the first country to legalise same-sex partnership. In 1861 Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management was first published
Mrs Beeton paved the way for domestic goddesses such as Nigella Lawson and Delia Smith
In 1861 we saw the first publication of Isabella Beeton's book which was titled " Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management" . It was a guide to running a household in Victorian Britain and contained many recipes.
Isabella died in 1865 and for a few years the books contained an obituary, however this was removed to give the feeling that all the recipes were prepared by her personally; even though a lot of the recipes were copied from previous works of other people.
It is still in publication and has over 74 chapters. You can find original copies on Amazon going for at least £500 if you feel like having an original.
The Internet Archive hosts a digital copy of the first edition which is available here
If you have the time (10 hours) then start listening to the audio book which is available on YouTube
Other events on this day
- 331BCE Alexander the Great defeated Darius III bringing the Persian Empire to an end
- 1861: Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management was first published
- 1867: Karl Marx published "Das Kapital"
- 1949: People's Republic of China was established by Mao Zedong; 国庆节 (national day) is celebrated on this day
- 1953: Playboy was founded by Hugh Hefner
- 1974: the first McDonald's opened in London
- 1989: Denmark was the first country in the world to legalise same-sex registered partnership