On This Day 10 October
By TheBoldAge. Published 2020-10-10
In 1911 the Wuchang Uprising led to the founding of the Republic of China; in 1967 the Outer Space Treaty came into force; in 1970 Fiji gained independence; in 1980 Thatcher famously said "The lady's not for turning". In 1917 Thelonious Monk was born.
Born on the 10th of October, 1917 he was a jazz pianist and composer and the second most recorded composer, after Duke Ellington.
"The piano ain't got no wrong notes".
just watching the speed at which his fingers move is mesmerising!
Other events on this day
- 1911: outbreak of the Wuchang Uprising which led to the founding of the Republic of China
- 1917: Thelonious Sphere Monk was born
- 1967: the Outer Space Treaty came into force
- 1970: Fiji gained independence from the United Kingdom
- 1980: Margaret Thatcher, in a speech at the Conservative Party conference said "U-turn if you want to. The lady's not for turning."