On This Day 13 August
By TheBoldAge. Published 2020-08-13
In 1792 the French Royal family was imprisoned; in 1889 the stove-top coffee pot was patented; in 1898 Manila was captured by the USA; in 1961 construction of the Berlin Wall began. In 1976 the first International Left Handers Day was held
Leftie or Rightie?
In 1976 the Left Handers International Inc organisation held the first International Left Handers Day. It was held to raise awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed.
10% of the world population is left-handed with men more likely to be left-handed. Do you know where the word sinister comes from? Those of you with some Italian or Latin may recognise sinestra - left. Has someone ever given you a left-handed compliment (aka backhanded compliment)?
For those of you, like me, who had no idea what a southpaw is: it's a term used in baseball to identify a left-handed person / pitcher.
Some famous left-handers
- Barack Obama
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Prince William
- Marie Curie
Other events on this day
- 1792: French Royals imprisoned in France by revolutionaries
- 1889: stove-top coffee pot was patented
- 1898: Manila captured by the USA during the Spanish-American war
- 1961: construction of the Berlin Wall began
- 1976: first International Left Handers Day held
- 1996: Internet Explorer 3.0 was released