On This Day 3 September
By TheBoldAge. Published 2020-09-03
In 1783 the Treaty of Paris was signed ending the American War of Independence; in 1939 Britain and France declared war on Germany; in 1971 Qatar regained independence from the UK; in 2000 the 1st official Merchant Navy Day was held. In 301 San Marino was founded - one of the smallest and oldest republics in the world.
Serenissima Repubblica di San Marino - founded in 301
San Marino is located within Italy and is a state in its own right. An area of just over 61km2 it has a population of approximately 34,000.
Saint Marinus was born in 275 in Croatia and was a stonemason. He founded a monastic community on Monte Titano in 301, thereby founding San Marino which has the claim of being the oldest sovereign state as well as the oldest constitutional republic.
Other events on this day
- 301: founding of San Marino - one of the smallest and oldest republics still in existence
- 1783: Treaty of Paris signed between Britain and USA ending the American War of Independence
- 1939: Britain and France declared war on Germany
- 1971: Qatar regained independence from the United Kingdom
- 2000: 1st official Merchant Navy Day, rememberance day of the merchant seafarers in WWI and WWII and other wars since