On This Day 4 July
By TheBoldAge. Published 2020-07-04
In 1862 Alice was told a story about her adventures by her uncle Lewis Carroll; Monday the 4th of July occurred twice in 1892 when Western Samoa changed the date line and the Philippines gained independence in 1946. We celebrate Higgs Boson Discovery day as in 2012 scientists detected a signal from a Higgs boson
There are four fundamental fources in nature: 1. Gravity 2. The weak force 3. Electromagnetism 4. The strong force
In the 70s the weak force and the electromagnetic force were identified as having a close relationship and could be described by the same theory (Standard Model). This model shows that the electricity, magnetism, light and certain elements of radioactivity are all part of the electroweak force.
Theorists - Robert Brout, Francois Englert and Peter Higgs - proposed a solution to the issue that certain particles emerged without a mass. The result was the "Higgs field".
For many years there was no observation of the Higgs boson to confirm this theory. The experience conducted by ATLAS and CMS and announced on the 4th of July identified the particle that was consistent with the Higgs boson but work still needed to be done to validate the Standard Model theory.
Watch The Higgs Discovery Explained by CERN
Other events on this day
- 1862: during a rowboat picnic Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) tells his niece (Alice Liddell) a story about her adventures
- 1892: Western Samoa changed the date tline resulting in Monday 4 July occurring twice
- 1918: the last Ottoman sultan ascended to the throne (Mehmed VI)
- 1946: Phlippines granted indepence from the US by Truman
- 1996: Hot Mail (free internet email) began service
- 2012: scientists at CERN detected a signal from a Higgs boson