On This Day 5 August
By TheBoldAge. Published 2020-08-05
In 1305 William Wallace was captured near Glasgow; in 1583 the 1st English colony in North America was established; in 1962 Marilyn Monroe died and in 2013 the 1st lab-grown stem-cell burger was eaten. In 1925 Plaid Cymru was formed to promote the Welsh language
Plaid Genedlaethol Cymru was formed in 1925
Originally Plaid Cymru was formed not for home-rule but rather with the aim to keep Wales Welsh-speaking. In the 1920s about 40% of the overall population were able to speak Welsh with a continued decrease being seen (this would continue to decrease with only 19% being able to speak Welsh in the 2011 census).
Over time there has been a resurgence in the use of Welsh, and a latest survey by ONS shows that 28% of the poulation were able to speak Welsh in March 2020, an increase from the 2011 census. Welsh speakers largely live in the north and West of the country, however you can find Welsh speaking communities around the world including even in Argentina where there are estimated to be about 5000 speakers of Patagonian Welsh; the Welsh arrived in Patagonia in 1865.
Proportion of respondents in the 2011 census who said they could speak welsh
The party didn't win their first seat in the UK parliament until 1966 with them currently holding 3 seats out of 40 Welsh seats in the House of Commons and 10 seats out of 60 in the Welsh Parliament.
Diolch (Thank You) video from Plaid Cymru to the NHS with a poem by Osian Owen recited
Some useful phrases to use
- Croeso: welcome
- Bore da: good morning
- Prynhawn da: good afternoon
- Noswaith da: good evening
- Iechyd da: cheers!
- wynco mwnco: him over there
- onco fonco: her over there
- Igam ogam: not going in a straight line
- Buwch goch gota: ladybird (literally little red cow)
- Twmffat: idiot
Other events on this day
- 1305: William Wallace was captured near Glasgow
- 1583: 1st English colony in North America, St John's Newfoundland, was established and claimed for Elizabeth I
- 1925: Plaid Cymru was formed to promote the Welsh language
- 1962: death of Marilyn Monroe
- 2013: in London the first bovine stem cell lab-grown burger was eaten