Parmesan cod recipe with salt and vinegar cucumber
By Ella Walker . Published 2020-09-11BOLD-Food
This Parmesan cod is a fish dish with a difference.
Ingredients:(Serves 4)150g Parmesan, grated2tsp smoked paprika1 small handful of thyme, leaves pickedA pinch of saltA pinch of black pepper4 small cod loins (about 140g each)2 eggs, lightly beatenGood-quality olive oil, to serveFor the salt and vinegar cucumber:1 cucumber, sliced into ribbonsA large pinch of salt150ml malt vinegar
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Start the salt and vinegar cucumber. Place the cucumber ribbons in a bowl and sprinkle liberally with the salt, making sure all of the cucumber is salted – don’t worry, you’re going to wash off most of the salt later. Set aside.
- To make the cod, in a bowl first mix the parmesan, paprika and thyme leaves with the pinches of salt and pepper.
- One by one, place the cod loins into the beaten eggs and coat well. Then roll each egg-coated loin in the parmesan mixture until coated and place on the lined baking tray. Bake for about eight to 10 minutes, until the cod gently flakes when pushed with the back of a teaspoon. If you like, give the loins a final minute under a hot grill to get the parmesan coating really crispy.
- While the cod is in the oven, transfer the cucumber to a sieve and wash off the excess salt under running water. Place the ribbons in a bowl with the malt vinegar and give them a good mix. Leave to lightly pickle until the cod is cooked.
- Serve each cod loin with a generous portion of the salt and vinegar cucumber and drizzled with good-quality olive oil.
We think you'll also enjoy
From frozen fish fingers to vegan cuisine: Food trends through the decades
Food historian Polly Russell charts the amazing evolution of food in Britain over the past 60 years.By Polly Russell, 2020-10-20
How to make John Whaite’s fish pie potato skins
These mini individual fish pies are nutritious and adorable.By Ella Walker , 2020-06-23
I signed up to a fish box scheme and this is what I learned
Ella Walker grasps how to shuck oysters and skin sole – and finds it quite a tonic to quarantine.By Ella Walker , 2020-08-22