Ragu recipe with tomato, lentil and aubergine
By Lauren Taylor. Published 2021-01-28BOLD-Food
Meat-free, simply and you can serve it with whatever you fancy.
Ingredients(serves six)6tbsp olive oil2 onions, finely chopped2 aubergines, cut into 2.5cm cubes2 garlic cloves, finely chopped1/2tsp fennel seeds2 bay leavesA pinch of chilli flakes200ml red wine2 x 400g tins beluga lentils, drained and rinsed2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoesSalt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large frying pan, heat two tablespoons of the oil, add the onions and soften over a low heat for about 10–15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another frying pan, heat the remaining oil, add the aubergines and a pinch of salt, then fry on high for five to 10 minutes, stirring often until the aubergine cubes are golden. Set aside.
- By this point, the onions should be soft and tinged golden. Add the garlic, fennel seeds, bay leaves and chilli flakes. Fry for a further two to three minutes, then tip in the wine. Bring to the boil and boil until it has reduced by two-thirds in volume (this shouldn’t take more than five minutes).
- Last but not least, add the lentils, tomatoes and the browned aubergine cubes. Season and reduce the heat, then simmer for 15–20 minutes until the sauce has thickened a little and the aubergine is buttery soft.
- Just before serving, fish out the bay leaves. This ragu is great with soft polenta, pasta or served simply with a hunk of bread.
We think you'll also enjoy
How do Our Nutritional Needs change as we Grow Bolder?
TheBoldAge explores the importance of understanding nutritionBy Nigel Pritchard, 2021-03-11
Eating Healthily is a Foodie Adventure and not Food Hell
Despite the confusing messages and sensationalist reporting eating healthily can be fun and an adventure.By Nigel Pritchard, 2021-03-08