Ragu recipe with tomato, lentil and aubergine
By Lauren Taylor. Published 2021-01-28BOLD-Food
Meat-free, simply and you can serve it with whatever you fancy.
Ingredients(serves six)6tbsp olive oil2 onions, finely chopped2 aubergines, cut into 2.5cm cubes2 garlic cloves, finely chopped1/2tsp fennel seeds2 bay leavesA pinch of chilli flakes200ml red wine2 x 400g tins beluga lentils, drained and rinsed2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoesSalt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large frying pan, heat two tablespoons of the oil, add the onions and soften over a low heat for about 10–15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another frying pan, heat the remaining oil, add the aubergines and a pinch of salt, then fry on high for five to 10 minutes, stirring often until the aubergine cubes are golden. Set aside.
- By this point, the onions should be soft and tinged golden. Add the garlic, fennel seeds, bay leaves and chilli flakes. Fry for a further two to three minutes, then tip in the wine. Bring to the boil and boil until it has reduced by two-thirds in volume (this shouldn’t take more than five minutes).
- Last but not least, add the lentils, tomatoes and the browned aubergine cubes. Season and reduce the heat, then simmer for 15–20 minutes until the sauce has thickened a little and the aubergine is buttery soft.
- Just before serving, fish out the bay leaves. This ragu is great with soft polenta, pasta or served simply with a hunk of bread.
We think you'll also enjoy
How do Our Nutritional Needs change as we Grow Bolder?
TheBoldAge explores the importance of understanding nutritionBy Nigel Pritchard, 2020-07-10
Eating Healthily is a Foodie Adventure and not Food Hell
Despite the confusing messages and sensationalist reporting eating healthily can be fun and an adventure. Nigel Pritchard provides some simple tips to help you along the way.By Nigel Pritchard, 2020-07-20