Spinach really can save your brain – here are 13 delicious ways to fit it into your diet
By Ella Walker. Published 2020-10-03BOLD-Food
Spinach is one of nature's superfoods bursting with nutritional content and delicious flavours,
- Having a side salad with that meal? Swap out iceberg lettuce for raw spinach leaves, and add in some finely chopped kale leaves (if your kale’s tough, soften it up with a squeeze of lemon juice).
- Bulk up homemade curries by chucking in a whole bag of raw spinach 30 seconds before serving, it’ll wilt into the sauce and you’ll barely know it’s there.
- If you’re whizzing up a batch of pesto, alongside your basil leaves, add in the same amount of spinach for extra brain-boosting zing.
- Run out of lettuce for your burger or sandwich? A handful of raw spinach will do the job.
- Not everyone appreciates a morning smoothie, but if you do, regardless of the flavour you’re going for, a handful of raw spinach blitzed in will up your iron content.
- Up the brain power of your scrambled eggs by stirring through raw spinach.
- Pea and mint is a classic soup, but you can boost how green it is by blitzing in a load of spinach too.
- For a quick pasta sauce, whizz together spinach, garlic and lemon juice, then stir through grated courgette and a dollop of creme fraiche – add to spaghetti and you’re good to go.
- Rather than a classic beef lasagne, try one where you substitute meat for spinach, pine nuts and squash.
- In fact, for any pasta bake you make, spinach is your friend.
- Use spinach leaves like you would lettuce, as mini cups for couscous salads, shredded lamb or chicken.
- No stir fry is complete without a bag of spinach.
- Sprinkle it on pizza, mushrooms on toast, fried eggs, tomato stews, put it in any sauce, alongside any meat – be inventive.