What happened on this day
By TheBoldAge. Published 2020-10-23BOLD-Living
TheBoldAge takes a look back at today in history
Here are just a few of the things that happened On This Day over the years gone by:
- Back in 1843 Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square was completed, commemorating Admiral Nelson's victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
- Britain, USA, France and the USSR agreed to end the occupation of Germany in 1954. And, on the same day West Germany entered NATO.
- On this day in 2012 BBC Ceefax, the world's first teletext service, launched on 23rd September 1974 took its final curtain call.
- Born on this day in 1905: Gertrude Ederle, the Amrican swimmer became the first woman to swim the English Channel (1926) in a time of 14 hours and 34 minutes for the 21-mile (33.8 km) swim was almost two hours faster than the current men's record. Her record stood until 1950.
- In 2013 Prince George, was baptised at the Chapel Royal of St James's Palace.