The bubble and squeak recipe everyone needs to make today
By Ella Walker . Published 2020-12-26BOLD-Food
It’s the ultimate way to use up those Christmas dinner leftovers.
Ingredients:(Makes one large bubble and squeak, or six patties)1tbsp goose fat or butter4 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped (or handful of leftover cold ham, if you have it, shredded)1 onion, finely sliced300g leftover cooked veg, shredded (Brussels sprouts, red cabbage, peas and corn, roast carrots etc.)400g cold leftover mashed potato (or a mixture of mash and parsnips)25g cheddar
- Melt your fat in a pan and fry the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside for now.
- Tip the onion into the pan with the leftover bacon fat, and fry gently until soft and translucent (around 10 minutes) – don’t rush them, you want the almost caramelised. Set aside.
- Put all the cold cooked veggies in the pan and stir fry until golden. Now mix the veggies, bacon and onion, and mashed potato (and parsnip) in a large bowl until well combined, along with the cheese.
- At this point, you can mush the lot back in the frying pan and fry, on both sides, until you have one huge golden disk that can be sliced into wedges, or make six individual patties.
- Serve with a fried egg or a crisp green salad.
We think you'll also enjoy
This is what the professional chefs will be doing with their Christmas leftovers
From bubble and squeak, to curries and risotto – don’t chuck out your festive leftovers.By Ella Walker , 2020-12-24
10 things that always happen without fail on Boxing Day
Today you only have one job – chill.By Lauren Taylor, 2020-12-26
How not to overeat on Christmas Day - as told by a dietitian
Worried about piling on the weight over the festive season? Read this.By Laura Dennison , 2020-12-24